March 11, 2009

Anne's Training Journal: Week 6

Anne lives in Missoula, Montana, and is training for the Grizzly Triathlon in April. Believing that she is not the typical triathlete, (age 49 and not a regular competitor) Anne feels that if she can pull this off, anybody can. This is her training journal:

I’m more than half way towards my goal—only 5 more weeks to go. This week has been an interesting one for training because I was traveling. On Sunday, all I did was drive from Denver to Breckenridge and drink beer.

Monday was scheduled to be a downhill ski day, but I had trouble finding boots to fit. I barely made it down the second run. I traded the boots for different ones, but my calves hurt too badly to ski for the rest of the day. I did work out on the bike and the elliptical trainer for a half hour on each.

Tuesday I tried downhill skiing with a different pair of boots. This time I was able to make it for at least half the day before my feet went numb. On Wednesday, I gave up and went cross-country skiing and had an excellent day. This skiing experience was disheartening. I expected to be able to ski really well because of all the training, but the combination of boots and altitude kept me from doing my best. I was really frustrated.

When I got home from Colorado, I hit the gym again on Friday. I biked for 25 minutes while talking to a friend, and then I ran 4 miles. It felt really good. It might have helped to be at high altitude for a week.

I took Saturday off, and I went cross-country skiing with my husband and dogs on Sunday instead of training with my Women’s Club group. It was a good day.

No comments: