September 7, 2009

Learning to Run in 13 Weeks: Week 13

Congratulations to all of you who have made it the full 13 weeks! Honestly, my group has dwindled. Some found it too challenging, some thought the program was not challenging enough. Many of the kids used our training sessions to stay in shape over the summer but left us once the fall sports resumed. Personally, I loved my 13 weeks. I used to run with a group until an achilles injury sidelined me about a year ago. This program not only got me back on the road, it rekindled an enjoyment of the sport that I thought I had lost.

What's next? Well, it's time to go find a couple of local races and sign up. I can't think of a better way to celebrate this summer's accomplishment than with a few hundred other runners.

As mentioned in earlier posts, we've been following the gradual running program outlined in the The Beginning Runners Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk-Run Program *. Here's the schedule for this final week.


Week 13

Day 1: 8-minute warm-up, run 40 minutes. 5-minute cool-down

Day 2: 8-minute warm-up, run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute. Do this 3 times. 5-minute cool-down

Day 3: Congratulations, you've done it!


*A few words about The Beginning Runner's Handbook. The 13-week program doesn't appear until page 151 because the authors (Ian MacNeill and the Sport Medicine Council of British Columbia) thought it was important to start with topics like moderation, choosing good shoes, training mind & body, pregnancy, cross-training, technique, diet, injuries and stretching. It is probably wise to do some reading of your own before you launch into this new exercise program. Please make sure you're healthy and ready for action and then join us!

No comments: