August 14, 2009

Lhasa: Adventures in Tibet

Lhasa is a place I dream about. I've read more books about Tibet than I can count. I've seen loads of films, visited exhibitions and put the Buddhist holy land on my travel "to do" list and yet a part of me hesitates. What worries me is the altitude -- I like my oxygen.

It takes me a good three days to acclimate when I fly from my house (altitude 330 feet) to my parents' house (altitude 8,000 feet). That's three days of gulping water, restless nights and bad dreams. Lhasa, at 12,000 feet above sea level, is half again as high.

Over at Travelbite, Kelly Gilblom has posted a story about her own Tibetan adventure and she doesn't sugar coat a thing. Kelly's trip from Shanghai to Lhasa was, long, dirty, nauseating and more than worth it.

Click here to read "Travel Blog: Seven Days in Tibet."



Image credit: ROAD IN THE MOUNTAINS
© Eprom | Dreamstime.com

No comments: